At Lindex, we seek constant improvement in our production and the choice of materials. Many of our organic cotton garments are certified according to the Global Organic Textile Standard – GOTS. This means that all stages of the process, from cotton cultivation to dyeing, prints and labels are in compliance to GOTS criteria.
GOTS is a standard that includes social and environmental requirements for all production stages, from fibre to finished product. The standard certifies the organic status of textiles and also ensures traceability in the supplier chain, all the way back to the cotton cultivation. GOTS was developed through collaboration by leading standard setters and introduced in 2006. It aims to defining requirements that are recognized world-wide for environmentally and socially responsible manufacturing.
All stages are included
All production facilities involved in the manufacturing of a GOTS product are certified by an external party, for example Control Union. The facilities receives a Scope Certificate which is revised every year. All stages in the production of a product are not performed at the same place, instead there are several suppliers conducting different stages of the process. All stages are GOTS certified according to the standard. At every transaction, such as when a yarn manufacturer buys cotton or a fabric manufacturer buys yarn, a GOTS certificate for that specific process is passed along with the product. When there is a finished product there are certificates for each step in the process, ensuring responsible production from fibre to finished product.
GOTS garments are labelled with the GOTS symbol and the certificate includes the whole garment, no matter if the labelling is on the paper hang tag or sewn onto the garment. The certificate number makes it easy to search information about the manufacturing via the GOTS data base. With the labelling, the customer is provided with credible assurance that the organic garment really is organic and that it has been responsible produced.
Some of the criteria for GOTS
- A textile product carrying the GOTS label must contain a minimum of 70 % certified organic fibres. Regarding GOTS label grade ‘organic’, the product must contain a minimum of 95 % certified organic fibres.
- All chemical inputs used, such as dyestuffs and process components and prints, must meet certain environmental and toxicological criteria in the standard.
- Wet processing units must keep full records of the use of chemicals, energy, water consumption and waste water treatment, including the disposal of sludge.
- Packaging material must not contain PVC. Paper or cardboard used in packaging material, hang tags etc. must be recycled or certified according to FSC or PEFC.
- Minimum social criteria in the standard based on the key norms of the International Labour Organisation (ILO) must be met by all processors and manufacturers.